Wildlife UK Forum - Discuss the UK countryside and wildlife

Full Version: Spam And A New Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for my continued absence from the forum. As is so common with these things real life commitments get in the way and gradually I had less and less time to spend on the forum. I logged in recently and was saddened - but not entirely surprised - by the amount of spam. This is not something that I want to continue.

I've cleaned up all the current spam and will try to check in more regularly to get rid of it. I'm also going to be upgrading the forum to a newer version and installing some new anti-spam protection measures.

I appreciate that a lot of people have moved on from Wildlife UK so I thought I'd use this thread as a gauge of how many people want to continue using the site. I don't mind upgrading the forum etc, but it's a time consuming process so I want to check whether enough people still get some enjoyment from the site.

The alternative is that I shut down the site to new registrations and just let current members post. This will inevitably lead to the forum dying out over time so I won't consider this option unless there are very few people who want to use the forum.

Thanks for your continued support, please post your thoughts and vote in the poll.

Alex

EDIT: My Wildlife UK email address hasn't been usuable for a long time due to (you guessed it) spam, so if you want to contact me privately please use the private message function.
Update: I've disabled registration temporarily to stop the constant spam. I'll reopen registration depending on the results of the poll.
Hi Alex,

The site is slow as anything for me today.....

What we should do is put all new user accounts ON MODERATION meaning nothing they post is visible to ANY GROUP until they are cleared and deemed OK..... (Then they can spam all they want and no one but the staff will see it)

Dude111 Wrote:
Hi Alex,

What we should do is put all new user accounts ON MODERATION meaning nothing they post is visible to ANY GROUP until they are cleared and deemed OK..... (Then they can spam all they want and no one but the staff will see it)

I second that

I agree but you do need some active mods to make it work.
Hi Alex have you had any more thoughts on the way forward?
Since new registrations were stopped most days now when i look on and click on new posts there are none.
Hi again Alex and anyone else who looks in,i keep looking to see if there are any topics to post on but sadly not,is the forum now ending??
Hi all,
I've been thinking about what to do and I'm going to attempt to upgrade the forum and reactivate registrations. If the site goes down over the next few days then you know why! Icon_biggrin

Once that's taken place I'll appoint a few new moderators to control the spam. If you'd be interested then please let me know.

Thanks,
Alex
As there has been no further information on this thread , maybe the forum has now finished?

If anyone has looked in the hope of joining a wildlife forum you will always find something interesting at nature uk
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nature_uk/index/

Celtic Sparrow Wrote:
As there has been no further information on this thread , maybe the forum has now finished?

If anyone has looked in the hope of joining a wildlife forum you will always find something interesting at nature uk
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nature_uk/index/

This looks like the Mary Celeste. I haven't look in here for quite a while, where has everyone gone?????????

Well done Celtic Sparrow, Nature UK's definitely a good place to go to.Icon_biggrin

oh dear
I am guilty for not looking on here for ages what a pity its all gone pear shaped
Hi Alex if you are still around maybe you could let us know if the forum has now ceased to operate?
Another month has passed with nothing happening,just bumping this up again to give Alex a chance to let us know what and if anything is happening with the forum.
Is there nothing us members could do to help clean up the spam?
Reference URL's